When you become a dad for the first time, shit gets real pretty fast.
Communication with your partner becomes more transactional, the concepts of night and day get blurred and you constantly have spit up on you. In short, it’s one of the most disruptive things you can possibly do to your life. Here are some things to do in the morning to help you be all the Dad you can be.
It’s a crazy world, good luck out there.
1. Chug a glass of water: Most people are chronically dehydrated. Chances are you’re one of them after being up with the baby all night. Your body is starving for hydration. Give it what it wants.
2. Stretch: Do this for as long as it takes to listen to one song. Get your blood moving and your muscles going to get your brain engaged. Plus in 6 weeks you’ll have made great progress on your flexibility.
3. Address Powerful Goodness: Stolen from Ben Franklin; this is just whatever you call your gratitude exercise. Practicing gratitude makes up happier and more resilient, two things dads need.
4. Meditate: For new parents, quiet moments come at a premium. Learn to channel your focus with consistent practice. I suck at mediation, but I’m trying to get better all the time. If you have trouble getting started, use an app like Calm or Headspace.
5. Green Tea: Nothing packs more antioxidants for longevity than green tea. It’s got some caffeine and it leaves your breath smelling so much better than coffee.
6. Make the bed: The world has just been turned upside down. You’ll learn to worry about what you can control and this is one of them. You’ll either be starting off the day on the right foot, or at least you have something to plop down on after a tough day.
So there’s just a few things you can do to make your morning life as a Dad that much better.
It’s the most important job we have, let’s start treating it that way.